Valentine Heart Necklaces
Original recipe makes 30 cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 2 1/4 ounces colored candy sprinkles
- 60 long red vine licorice
- Cream 1 cup butter or margarine and 3/4 cup white sugar together. Blend in egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and grated lemon peel. Sift together 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and baking powder. Add to creamed mixture and blend well. Cover and refrigerate dough for approximately 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Use a floured heart shaped 1 to 2 inch cookie cutter and cut dough into heart shapes. Place the cut-out hearts on greased cookie sheets.
- Using the drinking straw, make a hole at the top center of each heart before baking. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes until very lightly browned. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
- To Make Butter Frosting: Mix 3 cups confectioners’ sugar and 1/3 cup butter together. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons milk. Beat until smooth making sure frosting is of spreading consistency. Stir in food coloring to create a pink or red colored frosting, if desired.
- After cookies have cooled, frost and decorate them with nonpareils, sprinkles, dragees, or colored sugar. Use a toothpick to dislodge the hole, if necessary. Let the frosting dry.
- To make a necklace, tie the ends off of two pieces of red colored licorice with a knot. Thread it through the hole at the top center of the cookie. Tie the other ends off with another knot to create a “chain.” Makes approximately 30 heart necklaces.